Monday, April 19, 2010

Travels Around Roma Part XI: Tivoli Villa D'este

Well here is the rest of Villa D'este, the actual Villa itself that is.

First off we start with the internal courtyard, which looks like this.  I have been lazy on my blogging so I actually don't remember this because it was so long ago (about 4 months ago as of now), but I'll pretend like I know what I'm talking about.


Here is a closeup of the middle carving.  Quite beautiful.  What it is I have no idea but it still is pretty cool.  

Here we see the internal chapel.  The chapel was in a room but it still had windows and a door leading to it for privacy and to imitate a stand-alone church.  Its pretty well done I must say...


After I walked down one hallway (there is a hallway for each floor) I got to a corner room. You can see the door on the left. The carpets on the walls are pretty exquisite as well...

Like this one, a better view of the one above.  There are tons of these on all the walls, and knowing that they are all hand made with the finest quality and craftmenship just makes me want to be a rich Italian...


Here we enter the room of Socrates.  And all of this is painting designed to look three-dimensional, which it does a decent job of doing. 


Even though every part of all the walls is painted, the roof is usually the best part and this doesn't disappoint.  Here we have the incarnations of liberty, nobility, and generosity all sitting on clouds doing what they do. 

Here is another room I went into.  The detail on every inch of every wall is just something that I actually got used to.  But now as I sit in my college apartment on Nobel Drive I see literally plane undecorated white everywhere and not an inch of decoration on any wall.  Literally nothing because nobody cares.  Why not just one fresco or just one fine painting of some flying angel in my apartment?  Oh well...


Here is another roof of another room in the long hallway.  The detail of this is actually more intricate that probably the last room if that's possible. But as they say, when in Rome... (never mind we're in Tivoli)


Here is one of the paintings on a wall that I really liked.  Simple yet elegant with the man walking his donkey up the hill to the barn/mill.  And the colors flow really nicely.  


These hallways all have a view of the garden, and this is one view from a window.  Remember this balcony, because you can spot it in the pictures from the garden.  



Here is another room I saw.


And here is still another room.  The roof is painted to look like it has columns, but it is actually flat.  Even looking at it from underneath it still looked like it had columns.  






jk

k

jj




Now we enter the Room of Moses, with various paintings about Moses featuring this one where he extracts water from the rock while wandering in the desert for 40 years.  After this are the life and times of Moses collection, all in the orange colors below.
 
 

Below is a series of pictures of the Manica Lunga, which is designed to echo the pleasant sound of water dripping from the fountains built into the walls.  That and the mosiacs and skylights make this a winner.  That's it for Tivoli. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment