Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Spanish Vacation Part V: Barcelona Por El Último Tiempo

Well this about rounds out Barcelona.  The Barcelona zoo is the main focus here, because it is awesome and I felt like a kid again while I was there.  The zoo is in the main park of Barcelona, and despite the 16 euro was well worth the visit for me.  Some of these pictures are kind of random, but oh well.  First off is the dolphin show.  Forget Sea World, go to Barcelona!




And to get these aerial shots I had to just guess when the dolphins would jump and hope to get lucky.  I got some pictures of just splashing water after the dolphin went back in, but these pictures aren't too bad. 

Next up is some random animals.  We have of course our ostrich and zebra in the same pen.


And then there are the peacocks of course, although I couldn't get a picture of them like an NBC logo.


And what would a zoo be without a grizzly bear? Nothing. Nothing at all.


Now on to the primates.  We start out with the many monkeys I saw.  I don't remember their exact species, but monkeys are monkeys generally speaking. 




And what would primates be without your Gorillas.  As a side note, I read about how the Barcelona Zoo once housed Snowflake, the world's only known albino Gorilla.  For 40 years Snowflake lived in the Barcelona Zoo, lucky to escape poachers from Africa because he literally was the rarest gorilla possible, being the only known albino.  However due to his albinism he died from skin cancer in the Fall of 2003, but is always remembered throughout Barcelona and the zoo in particular. 


And here is my friend who is 98% the same genetically as me, none other than the chimpanzee.  He kind of ignored me and kept playing with his toy, so I didn't want to be one of those people who tap on the glass and annoy him just to get a look, so I just left after I realized he didn't know I was there.  


In every zoo you need your flamingos of course.  Its always good to see the full spectrum of colors. 



















Now we get to the good stuff. Namely, lions.  Here is a lion couple, or a lion and lioness.  They are quite majestic animals, and are Nature's true hunters (well at least the lioness, because she does all the hunting).

Do you notice anything out of the ordinary in this picture? 


Why of course its a Sumatran Tiger, with about 500 of them left in the world.  Hopefully they don't go instinct and survive many generations.  These are indeed some of the more beautiful animals I've ever seen. 


Here is a herd of deer grazing and eating some leaves.  The zoo is wide open as seen in the picture with animal pens all next to each other organized by type of animal. 


And here is a close up view of the deer.  Deer never fail to disappoint.  


And among other animals we have an elk I believe.You can also see its young calf without antlers on the right. 


The last section right next to the entrance/exit is the bird cages section.  They had some exotic birds such as  (sorry, these aren't exactly the best photos where the animals are staring right at you)...

No comments:

Post a Comment